3 shrewd ways to talk yourself into weight loss
Is this your story?
You want a leaner, healthier body.
You know what to do to lose those excess kilos and you’re willing to do it.
But at some point during the day you find yourself saying you’ll start tomorrow – and you go back to doing the things that keep you the same.
How frustrating, demoralising and exhausting!
Why does this happen?
Because at the moment you say you’ll start tomorrow, the loudest voice inside your head is saying something like:
- It’s too hard
- I’ll never change
- I don’t have what it takes
…and you believed it!
What you believe about weight loss
You will always act according to your strongest belief. That is what you’ve been doing and what you will continue to do – about your health and weight and everything else in life.
This means taking the time to challenge any belief that does not support you to achieve your ideal weight is time well spent.
Actually it’s more than that, it’s crucial. Your strongest belief must be that you can and will achieve your goal – otherwise you will fail. You have to fail because you can only take action that aligns with what you believe. If you believe you will always be overweight because you can’t lose weight then this is exactly what you will achieve.
So, the question is…..how can you cultivate and strengthen useful weight loss beliefs like:
- I achieve my ideal weight with ease
- It’s always the right time to change for the better
- I have what it takes to be my ideal weight
3 ways to stay on track for weight loss
1. Just for TODAY
You already know your self-talk makes a difference; you can talk yourself into or out of just about anything. You are an expert at this already, aren’t you? You’ve been talking yourself into giving up on your goal today and starting “for real” tomorrow. But what if all you needed to do was talk yourself into taking appropriate action just for today? How many times have you heard people say they overcame their addictions or problems one day at a time? Here are some ideas to shift your self-talk to focus on today:
- I’m taking action towards my ideal weight today – and it feels good
- Today is the right time to change for the better
- I have what it takes today – and tomorrow will take care of itself
See how that shifts things? Less pressure and more do-able.
2. Press PAUSE
Make a pact with yourself to pause before taking action away from your goal. How? If you find yourself about to quit on your goal, do a pre-determined task and then decide. Choose an activity that will shift your energy level and focus. This circuit-breaker is your pause from decision-making. Look at your life and come up with one or two options that are suitable for your environment and situation. Your activity doesn’t have to be fancy but the pact you make with yourself must be rock solid. You must do the task before making any decision about moving towards or away from your goal. Here are some examples of activities:
- Take 5 deep breaths with your eyes closed and ask yourself, “What truly serves me to choose right now?”
- Take a walk around the block. As you walk, imagine yourself already in the fit, lean body you want. How would you walk? What would you say to yourself?
- Simply take 5 or so minutes to make and drink a hot beverage. Sip mindfully and be present. Have some compassion towards yourself.
- Listen to a favourite, uplifting track on your MP3 player. Get into it. Sing along if appropriate!
- Do 20 star-jumps and some stretches. Focus on your breathing while you re-energise your body.
- Watch a funny clip and have a giggle.
Your pact is to complete your circuit breaker activity any time you feel like giving up. Complete the activity, then make a decision.
3. Practice it in your HEAD first
Once you have chosen your favourite circuit-breaker action, mentally rehearse yourself using it. This means imagine yourself during the day having a wobble (that’s a technical term for feeling like you want to stop taking action towards your goal and go back to taking action that leads to something you don’t want anymore). So in your imagination see yourself:
- Having a wobble
- Noticing that you are having a wobble
- Remembering the pact you made
- Taking the circuit-breaking action!
- Then, naturally choosing to continue to take action towards you goal; and
- Confidently and willingly taking the appropriate action to achieve your desired outcome.
Practice makes perfect and that includes practicing in your head.
Your current beliefs have led you to create the body you have now. If you would like something different, you must address your beliefs and the way you think about your body.
Until next time